Run Life's Course

Run Life's Course
It's The Course and the Finish that Counts

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Cloudier The Purpose, The Bigger The Vision

Clearing Up Cloudy Purpose...
Two more weeks of planning to be one of the sponsors of the Ray Lewis Family Foundation and anything taking more than two emails to resolve has officially become a problem.  And the problems keep coming for some reason.  Maybe this is what people mean by "biting off more than you can chew".  The challenges are stacking up and 12 mile runs every morning and hill runs on the weekends are not exactly clearing my mind to help me focus on getting through them for this philanthropic effort.

A good measure gift for the Celebrity Bowling tournament was supposed to be giving out my newly released book, Get A Clue - 10 Steps to an Executive IQ.  After all, if the attendees are paying over a $100 to bowl or spectate, they clearly are either executives, leaders, entrepreneurs, or descendants of some great business owners.  These people want to make a difference so why not throw in a book.  Well I tell you why not?  My assistant calls the book distributor and they tell her that it will cost over $900.00 to ship the books to Baltimore.  That's ludicrous. That's 4 more iPad minis that I can give to some more young people.  Time to come up with Plan B.


Plan B consists of ordering promotional items for the tablet/laptop screen cleaners.  All good although disappointing because the book would be more of a gift.  Now I have to wait for the proofs of both the screen cleaners and the drawstring bags that will be given to the participants at the Fitness Clinic.  I opened the email from the promotional company with the two proofs that require my signature and the proofs are not what I ordered and it is for another company.

The NYC group I am sponsoring is now continuing to try to get chaperones on the field at the Fitness Clinic and the Miami D Camp.  Don't they read rules and regulations from the organizers.  In fact, these are the same people that believe I should pay for 3 grown men to be chaperones for the 11 kids I am flying down to participate in the camp.  By the way, the kids will be in camp from 8am - 5pm.  What exactly would the chaperones be doing the rest of the day?  Typical New York mentality to try and get over...adults acting up instead of the kids.

After three emails to the promotional item company, they finally send only one correct item changed on the approval form.  Now we are off and running but the new shipping date is next Monday.  Hold on, this needs to be in Baltimore by Wednesday and it was originally ordered four weeks ago.  Oh but now I can't get anyone on the phone to resolve this matter and ensure shipping delivers on time.

I circle back to the book distributor and interacted with a nice man on their chat application who indicated the books would not require a $900 shipping charge because Baltimore was considered local.  This means the book could be in Baltimore by Monday for a shipping charge of $63.00.  Back in business by His grace.

Now 10 nights straight of no sleep because I need to make sure one of my current projects is intact before I leave for this Baltimore trip.  I leave my client's office, which is about 35 miles from the real part of Los Angeles.  Of course there is always a need to pass slow individuals and to get out of the traffic so I step on the gas and the ENGINE MALFUNCTION light comes on with a message that ENGINE POWER HAS REDUCED.  I get to my neck of the woods (familiar area) off the highway of which we all were speeding and the vehicle stops with no warning in the middle of an intersection.  Seriously?

I call Roadside Assistance and they tell me 70 minutes before they will show up.  Good thing I didn't cancel my AAA membership because they were there in less than 10 minutes and the dispatcher stayed on the phone with me to make sure I was safe.  Good job AAA!  After three tow trucks (because you can't tow the vehicle if it won't go into Neutral), it was towed to the after hours parking lot.  Now another issue and this one much more major; this could have been my life.

Why is all this happening a week before the event?  What happened to the joyous feeling you are supposed to feel because you are doing something for others?  If I had just dumbed down my vision, I might not have had all these problems.  Maybe I should have just given the money and not been so involved.  If I have to go through all of these challenges a week before the event, maybe this is a sign that it was not meant to be and I should just bail out.  

All of a sudden, I think about how blessed I am.  First and foremost, the vehicle did not stop in the middle of the highway where people were going over 80 miles/hour.  My life and probably some other lives were spared.  But God!  Just that thought alone gives me the extra push to not stop because the fact that I am still here means there is a vision even greater than me to not only reach but extend myself to help the next generation.  And so I have to Run Life's Course.