Run Life's Course

Run Life's Course
It's The Course and the Finish that Counts

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Crushed by Injury, Inspired by the Comeback



COURTESY OF USA TODAY SPORTS....KOBE....
It's that time of the year again - volunteering for my church's women's conference near the end of an exciting NBA season - where I am so exhausted not only do I miss the games but the ESPN highlights. 

Nonetheless, I woke up this morning to go to the morning glory service and was about to tweet until I almost had to pinch myself to wake up from a nightmare - my favorite active NBA and team go-to player, Kobe Bryant, went down last night with a torn ACL.

I couldn't wrap my mind around it but I read in this order the tweets from Dwayne Wade, Stuart Scott, CP3, Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, and Paul Pierce and I had to come to realization that it was true.  With the promise of volunteering and running a company and handling projects, I said a quick prayer and decided to come back to these emotions.

Now back in my room after the evening session and item lobby discussions, I just checked out the post-game interview and find myself in tears.  How could this be? 17 years of giving 190% in both physical and mental preparation and playing through almost every injury possible and this is how it goes down. And the 2nd to worst part is his almost single-handed effort to will his team to the playoffs in the the fight for the 8th seed, a ranking unbeknownst to long-time Lakers fans. Yes, I know your body starts to wane over time but this is Kobe and in my mind, he is invincible and relentless when it comes to athleticism. 

Now needing some Kleenex from all this crying, I go to my bag and open the side compartment and my Baltimore Ravens bracelet falls out. In teary-eyed vision, I start recollecting"the ride". I pulled out my iPad and at first glance, saw the picture of Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis talking after the Broncos loss in the locker room. Wait! Peyton suffered a neck injury, sat out an entire season with the Colts, and came back with a vengeance with his new team, the Denver Broncos.  Ray Lewis was supposed to be out all season after tearing his tricep but worked his way back and retired with another Superbowl ring. And then there was my picture with Adrian Peterson at iHop during Superbowl weekend.  Not only did he tear the MCL and the ACL but he came back as the NFL MVP and only 8 yards shy of a rushing record. 

All of a sudden I am feeling a little better.  I read Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony's tweets again and they are right.  If anyone, I mean ANYONE, can come back from this, it's Kobe Bean "vino" "mamba" Bryant. He will run this course like no other and inspire us all to come back stronger from our temporary setbacks.  #runmambacourse