Run Life's Course

Run Life's Course
It's The Course and the Finish that Counts

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Excited if Only for a Half Day

Mental alarm clock goes off at 3:41AM.  I am alert and ready to get in my 6 miles.  ESPN hook me up for 6 miles.  Done. 

No matter what is said and what phone calls I get - I am going to be happy because I am on a flight up out of here this afternoon.  I pull into the Visitor's Lot and register the rental car.  (Name it and claim it!  I refuse to be labeled as a permanent employee in these environments.)    I walk in and I am numb to what UBCF has to say.  I am smiling because there is a flight with my name on it.

I get a phone call from my trainer. Stunned that it was him and the top of his morning, I ask him about marathons and whether I should run a half-marathon or the real shebang.  He says it really depends on what you feel like after trying a longer run.  Well since 6 miles was an accomplishment on a treadmill, that means nothing on the streets.  I have to do a real 6 miles on the streets.  After doing some more research I decided that the best thing to do is sign-up and if I am not ready, cancel it.  I only lose $100 and I can try it again at another time. 

San Diego Rock and Roll is coming up in two weeks.  Sign me up! 

Note to Self: Two weeks is impossible to be ready but why not try for the impossible.   Oh wait the email registration indicates it is the real 26.2 marathon.  They don't have a half.  Uh oh - this means all or nothing on the first time.

Excitement gone!